Infectious diseases caused by susceptible microorganisms: infectious diseases of the skin and mucous membranes (wounds, ulcers, bedsores), enterocolitis, pyelitis, cystitis.
Composition and form of release
Active ingredient: sulfanilamide.
Excipients: talc, potato starch, stearic acid.
Available in 300 mg tablets.
Streptocide is an antimicrobial medicine. Its active substance interferes with the creation of so-called “growth factors” in microbes – dehydrofolic, folic acids, as well as other compounds with para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA) in its molecule. Streptocide (due to the similarity of the structures of PABA and sulfanilamide) is competitively included in the metabolic chain of microbes and disrupts metabolic processes in it, which leads to a bacteriostatic effect (cessation of the growth and reproduction of microbes). The drug is a short-acting sulfonamide, which exhibits a bacteriostatic effect against streptococci, Escherichia coli, pneumococci, meningococci, gonococci, pathogens of toxoplasmosis, and malaria. Does not affect anaerobes.
It is prescribed for infectious and inflammatory processes caused by microorganisms sensitive to sulfonamide: infections, ulcers, wounds, bedsores on the skin, mucous membranes, as well as enterocolitis, cystitis, pyelitis.
You can not prescribe Streptocide:
- with allergies to sulfonamides, as well as intolerance to auxiliary components;
- with inhibition of hematopoiesis in the bone marrow;
- in the presence of severe toxic-allergic reactions to sulfonamides in the past;
- with uncompensated heart failure;
- with diseases of the hematopoietic system;
- with anemia;
- with leukopenia;
- with Graves’ disease (toxic goiter);
- with kidney / liver diseases (nephrosis, nephritis, liver failure, severe kidney failure, acute hepatitis);
- with hyperthyroidism;
- with a deficiency of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase;
- with azotemia;
- with porphyria.
Streptocide should be prescribed with caution to patients with chronic heart failure, liver disease, impaired renal function, severe allergic diseases, bronchial asthma, blood diseases, as well as diabetes mellitus, since high doses have a hypoglycemic effect (can lower sugar levels in blood).
Since the drug is a bacteriostatic, and not a bactericidal agent, a full course of treatment is required to prevent the recurrence (repetition) of infection, the development of resistant forms of microorganisms.
Given the chemical similarity of the structures, sulfonamides cannot be used by people allergic to furosemide, thiazide diuretics, carbonic anhydrase inhibitors, sulfonylurea derivatives.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
This medicine is contraindicated during these periods. If necessary, treatment during breastfeeding, feeding is stopped.
Method of administration and dosage
The tablets are taken orally (by mouth) during or after a meal with 200 ml of water.
The standard single dose for adults, children> 12 years old is 600-1200 mg, the daily dose is 3000-6000 mg. The daily dose is divided into five doses. Maximum dosages for adults: single -2000 mg, daily – 7000 mg. A single dose for children aged 3–6 years – 300 mg, 6–12 years old – 300–600 mg. The frequency of admission in children is 4–6 times / day. The maximum daily dose for children is 900-2400 mg. The duration of treatment is determined by the doctor individually, depending on the localization of the process, the severity of the disease, the effectiveness of therapy.
When treating with the drug, it is necessary to carry out systematic monitoring of the functional state of the kidneys, blood glucose levels, and peripheral blood indicators.
With long-term treatment, it is necessary to periodically perform a blood test (general, biochemical). Prescribing this medication in insufficient doses, early discontinuation of treatment may increase the resistance (resistance) of microbes to sulfonamides.
The drugs of this pharmaceutical group should not be used to treat infections provoked by group A beta-hemolytic streptococcus, because they do not lead to its eradication (destruction) and, as a result, do not prevent such complications as glomerulonephritis, rheumatism.
During treatment, you need to consume a sufficient amount of liquid to prevent the development of urolithiasis, crystalluria.
In elderly people, there is an increased risk of adverse reactions from the skin, thrombocytopenic purpura, inhibition of hematopoiesis (especially when combined with thiazide diuretics). Therefore, this medication should be avoided in patients> 65 years of age.
It is recommended to avoid exposure to direct sunlight, artificial ultraviolet radiation, given the possibility of developing photosensitization when taking sulfonamides.
During treatment, you need to follow the dosage regimen, use only the recommended dose at intervals of 24 hours, do not skip the medication. If a dose is missed, there is no need to double the next dose.
In case of an overdose, anorexia (lack of appetite), colicky pains, vomiting, headache, drowsiness, dizziness, fainting are possible. With prolonged use, fever, crystalluria, the appearance of blood in the urine (hematuria), cyanosis of the skin (cyanosis), heart palpitations (tachycardia), tingling sensations, “creeping” on the skin (paresthesia), loose stools (diarrhea), jaundice ( due to cholestasis, toxic hepatitis), renal failure with anuria, changes in the blood test (agranulocytosis, leukopenia).
Overdose treatment: immediately consult a doctor who will prescribe symptomatic treatment. Emergency care: gastric lavage, intake of enterosorbents, drinking plenty of fluids, forced diuresis. If necessary, hemodialysis is performed.
- Co side of the blood, lymphatic system: thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, agranulocytosis, hypoprothrombinemia, aplastic anemia, eosinophilia, hemolytic anemia.
- Co side of the cardiovascular system: myocarditis, tachycardia.
- From the side of the nervous system: aseptic meningitis, ataxia, headache, intracranial hypotension, convulsions, drowsiness / insomnia, dizziness, fatigue, peripheral neuropathy, optic neuropathy, depression, visual impairment, depression, psychosis, paresthesia.
- Co side of the respiratory system: fibrosing alveolitis, pulmonary infiltrates.
- Co side of the digestive tract: dry mouth, thirst, dyspeptic symptoms, diarrhea, nausea, anorexia, pseudomembranous colitis, pancreatitis.
- Co side of the digestive system: cholestatic hepatitis, increased activity of liver enzymes (ALAT, ASAT, alkaline phosphatase), hepatonecrosis (breakdown of liver tissue), jaundice, hepatomegaly (enlarged liver), cholestasis.
- Co side of the urinary system: crystalluria (with an acidic reaction of urine), discoloration of urine (yellow-brown color), nephrotoxic reactions (tubular necrosis, interstitial nephritis, renal failure, shock kidney with anuria, hematuria).
- Co side of the skin: hyperemia (redness), skin rashes (papular, erythematous-squamous), itching, allergic dermatitis, urticaria, photosensitivity, erythema nodosum, exfoliative dermatitis, cyanosis.
- Allergic reactions: serum syndrome, Lyell’s, Stevens-Johnson’s syndromes, systemic lupus erythematosus, anaphylactic reactions, runny nose, Quincke’s edema.
- General disorders: pain in the right hypochondrium, lower back, drug fever.
- Others: periarteritis nodosa, shortness of breath, hypothyroidism, hypothyroidism, hypoglycemia.
Storage conditions and periods
At 15-25 ° С. The shelf life of the tablets is 5 years.