Infectious and inflammatory diseases caused by microflora sensitive to the action of the drug: tonsillitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, sinusitis, otitis media, dysentery, inflammatory diseases of the biliary and urinary tract, gonorrhea, erysipelas, pyoderma, meningitis, wound infections, trachoma, toxoplasmosis, schoplasmosis, schistoplasmosis, resist forms of malaria (in combination with antimalarial drugs).
Composition and form of release
Active ingredient: sulfadimethoxine (500 mg).
Sulfadimethoxin is produced in tablet form.
It is an antimicrobial agent. Has a broad spectrum bacteriostatic effect. Possesses antimicrobial properties. Active against gram-positive, gram-negative microorganisms. The mechanism of action is associated with inhibition of dihydropteroate synthetase, competing antagonism with para-aminobenzoic acid, disruption of the synthesis of tetrahydrofolic acid, which is necessary for the synthesis of purines, pyrimidines.
Shown Sulfadimethoxin in infectious and inflammatory diseases caused by microflora sensitive to it:
- with respiratory tract infections (sinusitis, tonsillitis, bronchitis, otitis media, pneumonia);
- with intestinal infections;
- with infection of the biliary tract;
- with urinary tract infection;
- with skin infection (erysipelas, pyoderma);
- with meningitis;
- with wound infection;
- with trachoma;
- with toxoplasmosis;
- with resistant forms of malaria.
The drug Sulfadimethoxin is not used:
- with intolerance to the components;
- in the presence of severe toxic-allergic reactions when taking sulfonamides in anamnesis;
- with oppression of bone marrow hematopoiesis;
- with renal / hepatic failure;
- with decompensated chronic heart failure;
- with porphyria;
- with azotemia;
- with agranulocytosis;
- with hemolytic anemia;
- with drug fever;
- with severe dermatitis;
- children under three years old.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
Method of administration and dosage
The drug Sulfadimethoxin is taken orally with water. The prescribed dose is taken once a day. The tablet must be swallowed whole (do not break, do not crush).
The standard dose for adults is 1-2 g on the first day, 0.5-1 g on the following days.
The standard dose for children over 12 years old is 1 g on the first day, 0.5 g on the following days.
The standard dose for children 3-12 years old is 25 mg / kg on the first day, 12.5 mg / kg on the following days.
After normalization of body temperature, the drug is used in maintenance doses for another 2-3 days.
The duration of treatment is 7-14 days.
Symptoms: anorexia, thirst, vomiting, dry mouth, pain in the lower back and right hypochondrium, abdominal cramping, headache, oliguria, drowsiness, dizziness, loss of consciousness, discoloration of urine (yellow-brown color), hyperthermia, crystalluria, hematuria, increased activity of the enzymes ALT, AST, ALP, blood changes (agranulocytosis, leukopenia, hemolytic anemia, methemoglobinemia), jaundice, tachycardia, dermatitis, paresthesia, diarrhea, cholestasis.
Overdose treatment: stopping the intake, gastric lavage, prescribing sorbents, carrying out a cleansing enema, alkaline drinking, forced diuresis.
- Neurological disorders: aseptic meningitis, headache, ataxia, intracranial hypotension, dizziness, convulsions, drowsiness / insomnia, depression, fatigue, psychosis, peripheral and optic neuropathy.
- Gastrointestinal disorders: thirst, anorexia, pancreatitis, dry mouth, nausea, diarrhea, pseudomembranous colitis.
- Hepatobiliary disorders: cholestatic hepatitis, increased activity of the enzymes ALT, AST, ALP, hepatonecrosis, jaundice, hepatomegaly.
- Respiratory disorders: fibrosing alveolitis, pulmonary infiltrates.
- Urinary disorders: crystalluria, discoloration of urine (yellow-brown color), interstitial nephritis, renal failure, tubular necrosis.
- Hematological disorders: agranulocytosis, leukopenia, aplastic anemia, hypoprothrombinemia, thrombocytopenia, eosinophilia, hemolytic anemia.
- Dermatological disorders: skin rash, allergic dermatitis, urticaria, photosensitivity, erythema nodosum, exfoliative dermatitis.
- Allergic reactions: anaphylactic reactions, Lyell’s syndrome, systemic lupus erythematosus, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, serum syndrome, swelling of the upper lip, tongue, swallowing disorder.
- Others: back pain, right hypochondrium, drug fever, myocarditis, hypothyroidism, periarteritis nodosa, hypoglycemia.
Storage conditions and periods
Store the drug Sulfadimethoxin at temperatures up to + 25 ° С for no more than 5 years.