Acute and chronic respiratory failure; acute heart failure in geriatrics; respiratory depression in pneumonia and other infectious diseases; cardiogenic and anaphylactic shock; alcohol poisoning, mild forms of poisoning with sleeping pills.
Composition and form of release
1 ml of solution for injection contains sulfocamphoric acid (in terms of anhydrous) 49.6 mg and novocaine base (procaine) 50.4 mg; in ampoules of 2 ml, complete with an ampoule knife, in a cardboard box 10 pcs.
Sulfocamfocaine belongs to the group of analeptic drugs. The mechanism of action of the drug is due to the excitation of the central nervous system, primarily the centers of the medulla oblongata, both directly and through the carotid sinus. The drug tones the respiratory and vasomotor centers, enhances metabolic processes in the heart muscle, increasing its sensitivity to the influence of sympathetic nerves. Sulfocamphocaine has a direct effect on the vessels – blood redistribution occurs, the vessels of the abdominal organs narrow, the tone of the venous vessels increases, the blood flow to the heart slightly increases, the coronary blood flow improves, the blood supply to the brain and lungs. The cardiotonic effect is associated with an adrenosensitizing effect, increased respiration and glycolysis processes associated with the process of phosphorylation of high-energy compounds.
Hypersensitivity to camphor, novocaine or to other components of the drug; epilepsy, tendency to convulsive reactions.
Interaction with other medicinal products and other types of interactions.
With the simultaneous use of Sulfocamfocaine with other drugs, it is possible:
- with drugs that depress the central nervous system – weakening the action of the latter;
- with anticholinesterase agents – weakening the action of the latter;
- with suxamethonium – prolongation of the neuromuscular blockade caused by suxamethonium;
- with MAO inhibitors – increased risk of arterial hypertension;
- with cardiac glycosides, diuretics, analgesics, steroid hormones – enhancement of the analeptic effect of sulfocamphocaine.
A drug can sometimes be prescribed to reduce the side effects of 5-fluorouracil chemotherapy.
It is not recommended to drink alcohol while using the drug.
Method of administration and dosage
Sulfocamfocaine is prescribed subcutaneously, intramuscularly or intravenously (slowly, jet or drip) to adults in a single dose of 2 ml. For dilution, use 0.9% sodium chloride solution. If necessary, the drug can be used 2-3 times a day. The maximum daily dose for adults is 12 ml.
In acute cases, the drug should be administered intravenously.
In chronic respiratory failure and heart failure, use intramuscularly or subcutaneously. The course of treatment can be 20-30 days.
Do not administer the medicine to children.
Symptoms: headache, dizziness, in acute poisoning – facial redness, pathological physical activity, delirium, epileptiform seizures.
Treatment: antipsychotic and anticonvulsants. With unexpressed psychomotor agitation – tranquilizers or sedatives.
- From the gastrointestinal tract: dyspeptic disorders.
- From the nervous system: headache, dizziness, tremors, paresthesias, convulsions.
- From the cardiovascular system: decrease or increase in blood pressure, palpitations, chest pain.
- On the part of the blood and lymphatic system: methemoglobinemia.
- From the immune system: hypersensitivity reactions, including angioedema, anaphylactic shock, skin rashes, itching, hyperemia, urticaria.
- General disorders and reactions at the injection site: hyperemia, rashes and itching at the injection site.
- Others: fever, involuntary urination.
Keep out of the reach of children in its original packaging at a temperature not exceeding 25 ° C. Do not freeze.