Infections caused by microorganisms sensitive to azithromycin: infections of ENT organs (bacterial pharyngitis / tonsillitis, sinusitis, otitis media); respiratory tract infections (bacterial bronchitis, non-hospital pneumonia); skin and soft tissue infections: migratory erythema (initial Lyme disease), erysipelas, impetigo, secondary pyodermatoses, acne vulgaris (acne common), moderate; sexually transmitted infections: uncomplicated genital infections caused by Chlamydia trachomatis.
Sumamed 500 omposition and form of release
The active substance of this medication is azithromycin.
Available in the following dosage forms: capsules (250 mg), powder for suspension (100 mg / 5 ml, 200 mg/5 ml), tablets (125 mg, 250 mg, 500 mg), soluble tablets (250 mg, 500 mg, 1000 mg).
Sumamed 500 is an antibiotic with a wide range of antimicrobial action. By binding to the 50S-cytogenetic unit of the ribosome, the drug suppresses the production of proteins in the pathogenic microorganism. In high concentrations, it has a bactericidal effect (kills bacteria). Active against a number of Gr + bacteria:
- Streptococcus agalactiae;
- Streptococcus pneumoniae;
- Streptococcus pyogenes;
- Streptococcus viridans;
- Staphylococcus aureus;
- Clostridium perfringens;
- Staphylococcus epidermidis.
The drug has no effect on Gr-bacteria that are resistant to the antibiotic erythromycin.
Also, this drug is effective against gram-negative microorganisms:
- Haemophilus influenza;
- Moraxella catar-rhalis;
- Haemophilus parainfluenzae;
- Haemophilus ducreyi;
- Bordetella pertussis;
- Helicobacter pylori;
- Gardnerella vaginalis;
- Neisseria meningitides;
- Bordetella parapertussis;
- Neisseria gonorrhoeae;
- Brucella melitensis;
- Campylobacter jejuni.
In addition, the drug is effective against Mycobacterium avium complex, Chlamydia pneumoniae, Legionella pneumophila, Chlamydia trachomatis, Mycoplasma pneumoniae, Listeria monocitogenes, Ureaplasma urealyticum, Borrelia burgdorferi, Treponema pallidum.
Sumamed is prescribed for infections of the upper respiratory tract (tonsillitis, sinusitis, bacterial pharyngitis, otitis media), lower respiratory tract infections (interstitial, alveolar pneumonia, exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, bacterial bronchitis), skin, soft tissues (impetigo, erysipelas, secondary pyodermatosis, initial stage tick-borne borreliosis – erythema migrans), as well as sexually transmitted infections (cervicitis, urethritis), diseases of the stomach / duodenum associated with Helicobacter pylori.
You can not prescribe Sumamed 500 for allergies to antibiotics of the macrolide group, severe liver / kidney dysfunction. This medicine is used with caution in liver / kidney diseases, heart disorders, predisposed to arrhythmias, ECG changes (lengthening of the Q – T interval).
Application during pregnancy and lactation
Perhaps the appointment of Sumamed 500 in these periods for health reasons.
Method of administration and dosage
All dosage forms of Sumamed 500 are intended for oral (oral) administration. Capsules and suspensions should be taken at least one hour before or two hours after meals. The tablets can be taken with or without food. Children from 6 months are recommended to use the medicine in the form of an oral suspension.
For infections of the upper / lower respiratory tract, soft tissues, skin (with the exception of erythema migrans), adults are prescribed 500 mg x1 times / day for three days (course dose of 1500 mg). For children, the drug is prescribed at the rate of 10 mg / kg body weight x1 times / day for 3 days (dose per course – 30 mg / kg). With erythema migrans, adults are prescribed the drug for 5 days, 1 time / day: 1st day – 1000 mg (2 tablets of 500 mg), then from 2 to 5 days – 500 mg each (course dose of 3000 mg) … For children: on the 1st day – 20 mg / kg body weight, then from the 2nd to the 5th day – daily at a dose of 10 mg / kg body weight (dose per course – 30 mg / kg).
For diseases of the stomach / duodenum associated with Helicobacter pylori, 1000 mg (2 tablets of 500 mg) per day are prescribed for three days in combination with antisecretory drugs and other drugs.
For sexually transmitted infections: uncomplicated urethritis / cervicitis – 1000 mg once, with complicated, long-term urethritis / cervicitis caused by Chlamydia trachomatis – 1000 mg three times with an interval of 7 days (that is, for 1, 7 and 14 days). Heading dose – 3000 mg.
Suspension preparation method: add 12 ml of water (boiled or distilled) to a bottle containing powder (17 g). The suspension volume should be 23 ml. The shelf life of the prepared suspension is limited to 5 days. Before taking, the contents of the bottle must be shaken thoroughly until a homogeneous suspension is obtained. Immediately after taking the suspension, it is recommended that the child be given a few sips of tea or water to drink in order to wash off and swallow the amount of suspension remaining in the oral cavity. After use, the syringe is disassembled, washed with running water, dried, stored in a dry place with the drug.
Overdose Overdose symptoms: temporary hearing loss, diarrhea (loose stools), vomiting.
Overdose treatment: urgent gastric lavage, intake of sorbents (for example, activated carbon), symptomatic treatment.
- Disorders of the central nervous system: vertigo (dizziness), convulsions, cephalgia (headache), paresthesia (tingling sensation, crawling creeps, burning sensation on the skin), drowsiness, impotence, insomnia, increased physical activity, aggressiveness, nervousness, anxiety.
- Disorders of the circulatory, lymphatic systems: a decrease in the number of platelets (thrombocytopenia), neutrophilic leukocytes (neutropenia).
- Disorders of the organs of perception: reversible hearing impairment, deafness, tinnitus, impaired perception of taste, smell.
- Digestive tract disorders: stool disorders (constipation, diarrhea), nausea, abdominal pain / cramps, flatulence (bloating), anorexia (lack of appetite), discoloration of the tongue, inflammation of the colon (pseudomembranous colitis), cholestatic jaundice (due to impaired bile outflow) ), hepatitis (liver inflammation), abnormal liver function tests, liver failure, liver necrosis (breakdown), sometimes fatal.
- Disorders of the cardiovascular system: arrhythmia (arrhythmia, palpitations, ventricular (ventricular) tachycardia, widening of the Q-T interval on the ECG, bidirectional ventricular tachycardia).
- Allergic reactions: angioedema (rapid swelling of the face, lips, tongue with impaired breathing), itching, rashes, urticaria, photosensitivity (sensitivity to the sun), anaphylactic shock (fatal in rare cases), erythema multiforme, allergic contact dermatitis.
- Disorders of the genitourinary system: nephritis (inflammation of the kidneys), acute kidney failure.
- Movement disorders: arthralgia (joint pain).
- Others: candidiasis (fungal infection), vaginitis (inflammation of the vagina).
Storage conditions and periods
The drug must be stored and transported in its original (factory) packaging in compliance with the temperature regime (15–25 ° C), low humidity, and no direct sunlight. Parents are required to ensure the safety of their children by limiting access to medication.
Shelf life of capsules, tablets – 3 years, powder for suspension preparation – 2 years. The finished suspension cannot be stored for more than 5 days. It is forbidden to use this medicine after the expiry date stated on the original packaging.