Treatment of infections caused by drug-sensitive pathogens in cases where the benefit of such treatment outweighs the potential risk; the question is whether one single antibacterial agent should be used. Infections of ENT-organs and respiratory tract: acute and chronic bronchitis, bronchiectasis, pneumonia (including caused by Pneumocystis carini), pharyngitis, angina (for infections caused by β-hemolytic streptococci of group A, frequency of eradication, non-eradication, otitis. Kidney and urinary tract infections: acute and chronic cystitis, pyelonephritis, urethritis, prostatitis, mild chancre. Digestive tract infections: typhoid and paratyphoid, shigellosis (caused by sensitive strains of Shigella flexneri and Shigella sonnei, if antibacterial therapy is shown), “traveler” diarrhea caused by enterotoxic Escherichia coli strains, cholera (doping). Other bacterial infections: acute and chronic osteomyelitis, brucellosis, nocardiosis, actinomycosis, toxoplasmosis, South American blastomycosis.
active substances: sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim;
1 ml of suspension contains 25 mg of sulfamethoxazole and 5 mg of trimethoprim;
Excipients: sucrose, xanthan gum, anise alcohol, sodium saccharin, methyl parahydroxybenzoate (E 218), crimson 4R (E 124), purified water
The suspension is oral.
Main physical and chemical properties: thick suspension without lumps, purple-pink color, sweet taste with a bitter aftertaste, with the smell of anise.
This medicinal product belongs to combined antibacterial pharmaceuticals based on sulfonamides and trimethoprim, used systemically for the treatment of infectious diseases.
This antibacterial agent has a synergistic effect, which has the property of inhibiting the synthesis of purine compounds that are present in bacterial cells.
Also, this drug is capable of disrupting various stages of the synthesis of metabolic processes of folic acid.
In particular, sulfamethoxazole has the property of inhibiting the incorporation of PABA into the metabolic processes of this acid. Plays an important role in the functioning of the nervous system.
Trimethoprim, in turn, inhibits dihydrofolic acid reductase.
In general, the drug is able to inhibit the development of bacteria of both gram-positive and gram-negative series.
At the same time, the drug has no effect on fungi and viruses.
This drug is used to treat infections:
- respiratory organs – exacerbations in chronic bronchitis, as well as in otitis media in children, treatment and prevention of pneumonia;
- organs of the genitourinary system: urinary tract, gonococcal urethritis, soft chancre;
- organs of the gastrointestinal tract – typhoid and paratyphoid fever, shigellosis, cholecystitis, diarrhea caused by enterogenic strains of Escherichia coli, cholera;
- acute brucellosis, mycetoma, nocardiosis, blastomycosis, scarlet fever;
- skin – furunculosis, impetigo, erysipelas, purulent folliculitis, abscesses, acne, infected wounds, sepsis;
The drug in question is contraindicated for use in cases where the patient has severe hypersensitivity (allergy) to the main or to one of the auxiliary components.
Also, use is contraindicated for:
- anemia, leukopenia;
- disorders of the liver or kidneys;
- bronchial asthma, thyroid diseases.
It is not used in the treatment of children under 6 years of age.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
This drug is not used in the treatment of pregnant women.
If it is necessary to take the drug during breastfeeding, then during treatment, lactation should be suspended.
Method of administration and dosage
The suspension should be taken with enough water 2 times a day (morning and evening), preferably after meals. Dosing is performed using a measuring container with a volume of 5 ml with a division price of 1 ml, which is attached.
Adults and children from 12 years old.
The usual starting dose is 32 ml of Sumetrolim®, which is divided into 2 doses (morning and evening). The drug should be taken after a meal and drink plenty of fluids. Patients suffering from serious infections can be prescribed a higher dose, with the maximum single dose should not exceed 48 ml in 2 doses. If maintenance therapy is required for 14 days or more, it is recommended to use a daily dose of 16 ml, divided into 2 doses.
The recommended daily dose for children is mainly 6 mg of trimethoprim and 30 mg of sulfamethoxazole per 1 kg of body weight, which is used in two doses. The following treatment regimen is recommended.
Dose (every 12 hours) ml of suspension
- 2 months – 6 months 3 – 4 ml
- 6 months – 2 years 4 – 8 ml
- From 2 years to 6 years 8 – 12 ml
- From 6 years to 12 years 12 – 16 ml
Duration of treatment
In acute infections, a minimum of 5 days of treatment is recommended. You can also continue treatment until the symptoms disappear, and then for at least 2 days. For women with uncomplicated acute cystitis, a 3-day treatment may be sufficient, while for children with the same disease it is better to carry out treatment for 5 – 7 days.
For pneumonia caused by Pneumocystis carinii, the recommended dose is up to 20 mg trimethoprim and up to 100 mg sulfamethoxazole per kg body weight per day, taken in equal doses every 6 hours for 14 days.
Symptoms of an overdose with this drug:
- nausea, vomiting, dizziness;
- drowsiness, loss of consciousness;
- thrombocytopenia, leukopenia (with chronic overdose).
Treatment – gastric lavage, diuresis, hemodialysis, calcium folinate administration.
In general, symptomatic treatment is recommended.
The drug rarely causes side effects and is well tolerated.
The following side effects are possible, such as:
- itching, rash, allergic urticaria;
- nausea, vomiting, epigastric pain, pancreatitis, thrombophlebitis;
- fever, angioedema, anaphylactic shock;
- anemia, headache, inflammation of the hepatic parenchyma;
- pseudomembranous colitis, arthralgia, myalgia;
- liver necrosis, aplastic anemia, hemolytic anemia, agranulocytosis, eosinophilia, thrombocytopenia.
Storage conditions and periods
The shelf life is up to 5 years.
Storage temperature should not exceed 25 ° C.