Epilepsy. Gabapentin is used as an adjunct in the treatment of partial seizures with or without secondary generalization in adults and children from 6 years of age. Gabapentin is used as monotherapy in the treatment of partial seizures with or without secondary generalization in adults and children 12 years of age and older. Treatment of peripheral neuropathic pain. Gabapentin is indicated for the treatment of peripheral neuropathic pain, for example in painful diabetic neuropathy and postherpetic neuralgia in adults.
Composition and form of release
Active ingredient: gabapentin.
Tebantin is produced in capsule form (300 mg).
It is an antiepileptic medication. The mechanisms of its analgesic and antiepileptic effects are unknown, but it has been proven by research.
Tebantin is used:
- for the treatment of partial epileptic seizures without / with secondary generalization in children over 12
- years of age or adults, as well as partial seizures in children 3–12 years old;
- for the treatment of severe pain (including neuropathic pain) in adults.
The use of Tebantin is contraindicated:
- with allergies to the components of the drug;
- with acute pancreatitis;
- with lactase deficiency, lactose enzyme intolerance, glucose-galactose malabsorption (capsules contain lactose);
- during lactation;
- for monotherapy in children from 3 to 12 years old;
- for the treatment of children under 3 years of age.
It is prescribed with caution in case of kidney failure.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
The use of Tebantin is allowed only in cases where the benefit to the woman’s condition outweighs the risk to the fetus.
This medication is excreted in breast milk, so its use is possible only after breastfeeding has stopped.
Method of administration and dosage
The capsule is taken orally (regardless of food).
For epilepsy, a combined treatment is recommended. Individuals over 12 years of age begin treatment with 300 mg x 3 times / day. The effective dose is 900–1800 mg / day (in three divided doses). The maximum breaks between doses of the medicine should not exceed 12 hours. For children aged 3–12 years, the recommended dose is 25–35 mg / kg / day, divided into three doses.
For neuropathic pain, it is recommended to take 300 mg on the first day, on the second day – 300 mg x2 times, on the third day – 300 mg x3 times. If necessary, the daily dose is increased (gradually) to achieve the effect (maximum – 1800 mg, divided into three doses). In severe cases, high doses can be prescribed (1800–3600 mg / day).
Overdose symptoms: slurred speech, double vision, loose and frequent stools, drowsiness, lethargy. In case of an overdose, sorbents must be used. The drug can be removed by hemodialysis.
- On the part of the genitourinary system: kidney failure, urinary incontinence, impotence, gynecomastia.
- Co side of metabolism: anorection, weight loss / gain, fluctuations in glucose levels, increased appetite.
- Co side of the immune system: allergy.
- From the side of the psyche: anxiety, depression, emotional instability, impaired thinking, hallucinations, agitation.
- Co side of the blood: thrombocytopenia, leukopenia.
- From the side of the nervous system: drowsiness, convulsions, dizziness, ataxia, hyperkinesia, tremor, insomnia, dysarthria, amnesia, headache, impaired coordination, paresthesia, hypesthesia, nystagmus, hypokinesia, strengthening / weakening / absence of reflexes, other movement disorders (athetosis , dystonia, dyskinesia).
- Co side of the hearing organs: ringing in the ears, vertigo.
- From the side of the organ of vision: amblyopia, decreased visual acuity, diplopia.
- Co side of the cardiovascular system: vasodilation, palpitations, hypertension.
Respiratory organs: rhinitis, bronchitis, pharyngitis, shortness of breath, cough.
- Co side of the skin: facial edema, itching, bruising, rash, acne, Quincke’s edema, alopecia, erythema multiforme.
- On the digestive side: diarrhea, vomiting, gingivitis, tooth damage, dry mouth, constipation, abdominal pain, jaundice, bloating, hepatitis, pancreatitis.
- From the side of the musculoskeletal system: myalgia, arthralgia, muscle twitching.
- Others: edema, fever, malaise, fatigue, gait disturbance, colds, asthenia, chest pain, pain, swelling, withdrawal reaction.
- Infections: pneumonia, viral infections, otitis media, infections of the urinary system.
Storage conditions and periods
Tebantin can be stored for no more than 5 years at 15–25 ° С.