Respiratory diseases accompanied by bronchospasm (chronic bronchitis, bronchial asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)).
Teofedrin IC (theophylline, paracetamol) tablets №10
The main active ingredients are:
- theophylline anhydrous – 100 mg;
- paracetamol – 200 mg;
- caffeine – 50 mg;
- phenobarbital – 20 mg;
- belladonna (belladonna) – 3 mg;
- cytisine – 0.1 mg;
- ephedrine hydrochloride – 20 mg.
Excipients: potato starch, calcium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, copovidone, colloidal anhydrous silicon dioxide, talc.
Main physical and chemical properties: white tablets with a creamy tinge and barely noticeable patches, flat-cylindrical with a bevel; on one surface of the tablet there is a trademark of the enterprise, on the other surface of the tablet there is a line for division.
Means for systemic use in obstructive airways diseases. Xanthini. Theophylline, combinations with psycholeptics.
ATX code R03D A74.
This drug is included in the group of combined drugs based on analgesics and antipyretics, designed to stop coughs, treat colds.
The components of the drug in the complex are able to complement the mutual effect on the body, which increases its effectiveness in combating the disease.
Among such components – paracetamol, which is also one of the main active agents of the drug, also has the properties of a non-narcotic analgesic capable of affecting the central nervous system, as well as pain and thermoregulatory centers. Has analgesic and antipyretic effects.
Caffeine is able to stimulate the centers of psychomotor activity located in the brain, is an analeptic that enhances the effect of analgesics. It is able to eliminate drowsiness, fatigue, and helps to improve performance – both mental and physical. Cytisine stimulates breathing.
Phenobarbital is an antiepileptic, antispasmodic, muscle relaxant, which also has sedative properties. Theophylline belongs to the group of methylxanthines, promotes relaxation of the smooth muscles of the bronchi, stimulating the respiratory centers, produces a mild diuretic effect. Ephedrine is an antispasmodic agent capable of stimulating the respiratory center.
This drug Teofedrin IC is used in medical practice in the treatment of colds, flu, inflammation of the respiratory tract, accompanied by a cough.
The drug should not be used if the patient has previously shown hypersensitivity (allergy) to one of the substances that make up the drug, both basic and auxiliary.
Also, use is contraindicated if the patient has:
- ulcer of the stomach and / or 12 duodenal ulcer (with exacerbation);
- bronchospasm, respiratory depression;
- blood diseases;
- increased pressure inside the skull;
- traumatic brain injury / trauma;
- myocardial infarction in its acute period;
- high blood pressure;
Also not applicable for:
It is not used in pediatrics.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
Treatment of pregnant women with this drug is inappropriate, since the degree of harm that can be caused to a woman or her fetus is unknown.
Breastfeeding, if treatment with this drug is required, should be temporarily suspended.
Method of administration and dosage
The drug Teofedrin IC is taken after meals.
- 0.5-1 tablets 1 time per day, during an acute cough attack (preferably in the morning, so as not to disturb sleep);
- if necessary, it is permissible to take the maximum daily dose – 5 tablets during the day, which is taken in 2-3 doses, that is, 1-2 tablets during an acute attack of coughing.
The maximum single dosage is no more than two tablets once.
The duration of treatment depends on the course of the disease and is determined by the attending physician.
An overdose of the indicated drug can cause:
- nausea, vomiting, gastralgia;
- clouding of consciousness, oppression of the respiratory centers, coma;
- hypothermia, arterial hypotension, tachycardia (heart palpitations).
The patient may also manifest:
- agranulocytosis, hemorrhagic syndrome;
- renal / hepatic impairment.
Antidotes for paracetamol – acetylcysteine, methionine.
If an overdose is detected, it is necessary to flush the stomach. It is also desirable to take enterosorbents, a large amount of liquid, in order to induce the forcing of diuresis.
Side effects may occur during therapy with this drug. In particular, there may be:
- allergic reactions, up to their extreme manifestations, in particular, anaphylactic shock may occur.
Some patients experienced:
- decreased psychomotor speed;
- dizziness, drowsiness;
- tachycardia, bradycardia, arrhythmia;
- nausea and vomiting, constipation;
- disorders of the blood system;
- interstitial nephritis, thrombocytopenia, anemia;
- ataxia, arterial hypotension, myasthenia gravis.
The patient’s urine may turn red (disappears after the end of the course of therapy).