Bronchial asthma; chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (chronic obstructive bronchitis, pulmonary emphysema); pulmonary hypertension; syndrome of central night apnea.
Composition and form of release
Main active ingredients: theophylline.
Excipients: composite polymer carrier, calcium stearate.
The drug is produced in the form of tablets with prolonged action, in dosages containing 300 mg of theophylline.
This drug belongs to the group of anti-asthma pharmaceuticals that are used to treat obstructive respiratory diseases.
Theophylline is a methylxanthine of the xanthine family, which is similar in structure and pharmacological properties to theobromine and caffeine.
It is able to bind adenosine receptors, block phosphodiesterase, and reduce the concentration of calcium in cells.
It has a pronounced antispasmodic, vasodilator, bronchodilator, anti-asthmatic, cardiotonic action.
Theophylline causes relaxation of the muscles in the bronchi, a decrease in the level of hypersensitivity mediators in the blood, an increase in the tone of the muscles of the respiratory system, especially in the diaphragm and between the ribs.
Due to the effect of this component, the pulmonary blood vessels expand, the risks of blood clots are reduced, and microcirculation in the blood vessels is normalized.
This drug is intended for the treatment of diseases such as:
- bronchial asthma;
- chronic obstructive bronchitis;
- emphysema of the lungs;
- pulmonary hypertension.
The drug in question is not used if the patient has ever had hypersensitivity (allergy) to one of the components that make up its composition.
Do not use if the patient suffers from:
- epilepsy, porphyria;
- acute myocardial infarction, tachyarrhythmia, severe arterial hypertension, hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy, atherosclerosis, aneurysm;
- hyperthyroidism, thyrotoxicosis;
- stomach ulcer and 12 duodenal ulcer;
- severe liver dysfunction, pheochromocytoma.
In pediatrics, it is not used until the age of 6 years.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
This drug is contraindicated for the treatment of pregnant women.
Lactation is suspended for the duration of treatment with this drug.
Method of administration and dosage
The drug is taken an hour or 2 hours after eating. If an irritating mucous effect is noticed, it is permissible to take it during a meal or immediately after it.
A 300 mg tablet can be divided in half (do not chew).
Recommended dosage regimen:
- children over 12 years old and adults – 300 mg once a day, after 3-5 days, you can increase the dosage to 450 or 600 mg (taken in 2 divided doses);
- children 6-12 years old – 150 mg (half a 300 mg tablet) once a day, after 3 days it is permissible to increase the dosage to 300 mg per day.
In case of apnea, the drug is taken before going to bed.
Elderly patients, as well as those suffering from moderate renal or hepatic insufficiency, do not need to adjust the dosage.
Overdose with this drug can cause increased side effects in the form of:
- dyspeptic symptoms;
- hypokalemia, hyperglycemia, hypomagnesemia;
- surges in blood pressure, arrhythmia, tachycardia;
- lactic acidosis, metabolic acidosis;
- tremor, convulsions, coma.
In case of overdose, symptomatic treatment should be applied. It is possible to use β1-blockers in small doses. Spasticity is removed with diazolin.
The use of barbiturates is contraindicated.
Reception of enterosorbents can improve the patient’s condition.
The use of this drug in a patient can cause side effects in the form of:
- headache, dizziness, agitation, tremors, seizures;
- nausea, vomiting, epigastric pain, diarrhea;
- paradoxical bronchospasm;
- cardiac arrhythmias, pressure surges, myospasm, collapse, atrial fibrillation, myocardial ischemia;
- hypokalemia, hyperglycemia.
Allergic reactions are possible in the form of angioedema, skin rash, allergic urticaria, itching.
Storage conditions and periods
This medicinal product retains its medicinal properties for 5 years, which are counted from the date of manufacture, which is indicated by the manufacturer.
The drug should be kept out of the reach of children. Storage temperature should not exceed 25 ° C.