Fungal infections of the skin and nails caused by Trichophyton (e.g. T. rubrum, T. mentagrophytes, T. verrucosum, T. violaceum), Microsporum canis and Epidermophyton floccosum. Terbinafine for oral use is indicated for the treatment of ringworm (trichophytosis of smooth skin, perineal trichophytosis and dermatophytosis of the feet) in cases where the localization of the lesion, the severity or prevalence of the infection makes oral therapy advisable. Terbinafine for oral use is indicated for the treatment of onychomycosis.
Composition and form of release
Active ingredient: terbinafine hydrochloride.
Terbinafine is produced in the form of tablets 250 mg.
It is an antifungal agent used in dermatology. It prevents the early stage of sterol production in the fungal cell, which leads to a deficiency of ergosterol, the accumulation of squalene inside the cells, as a result of which the death of the fungal cell occurs.
Terbinafine is used for skin / hair / nail infections caused by such dermatophytes as Microsporum (Microsporum canis), Trіchophyton (T.rubrum, T.tonsurans, T.mentagrophytes, T.verrucosum, T.vіolaceum), Epіdermophyton floccosum, Candida yeast ( Candida albicans), Pityrosporum.
Terbinafine is not prescribed for allergy to terbinafine, intolerance to excipients of tablets. Not used in pediatrics.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
Do not apply.
Method of administration and dosage
This medication is intended for oral administration.
Dosing for adults – 250 mg x 1 time / day.
Duration of therapy:
- with dermatophytosis of the feet (plantar, interdigital, like “moccasins”) – 2-6 weeks;
- with trichophytosis of the perineum – 2-4 weeks;
- with trichophytosis of smooth skin – 4 weeks;
- with onychomycosis – from 6 weeks to 3 months;
- if the scalp is affected by a fungus – 4 weeks.
- Symptoms: supra-gastric pain, headache, nausea, dizziness.
- Treatment: elimination of the drug with sorbents, if necessary, symptomatic / supportive therapy.
- Blood test changes: thrombocytopenia, neutropenia, agranulocytosis, pancytopenia, anemia.
- Co side of the immune system: anaphylactoid reactions (including angioedema), systemic lupus erythematosus, symptoms similar to serum sickness.
- Co side of metabolism: decreased appetite.
- Co side of the psyche: depressive symptoms, anxiety.
- From the side of the nervous system: taste disorders, headache, paresthesia / hypoesthesia, hyposmia / anosmia, dizziness.
- From the side of the eyes: decreased acuity, blurred vision.
- From the side of the ear: vertigo, tinnitus, hearing loss, hearing impairment.
- Co side of the heart / vessels: vasculitis.
- Co side of digestion: a feeling of fullness in the stomach, nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, pancreatitis.
- Co side of the liver, biliary tract: liver failure, jaundice, cholestasis (impaired outflow of bile), hepatitis.
- Co side of the skin: mild skin reactions (urticaria, rash), psoriasis-like rash, exacerbation of psoriasis, exfoliative / bullous dermatitis, generalized acute exanthematous pustulosis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, erythema multiforme, toxic epidermal necrolysis, reactions to the sun (photodensitization) polymorphic photodermatosis, alopecia (baldness).
- Skeletal / muscle side: arthralgia (joint pain), myalgia (muscle pain), rhabdomyolysis (muscle breakdown).
- General disorders: pyrexia, fatigue, malaise, flu-like illnesses.
- Changes in laboratory data: a change in prothrombin time (reduction or lengthening), an increase in the level of creatine phosphokinase in the blood.
Storage conditions and periods
Store Terbinafine tablets in their original, undamaged packaging for no more than 4 years from the date of manufacture. Temperature conditions: + 15-25 ° С. Parents must ensure the safety of their children by ensuring that medicines are not available to them.