Hypertension; edema syndrome caused by heart, liver or kidney disease, mainly in cases where it is necessary to avoid the loss of potassium in the body; for heart failure in combination with cardiac glycosides, if additional fluid excretion and decreased potassium excretion are required.
Composition and form of release
The main active ingredient: hydrochlorothiazide, triamterene.
Auxiliary components – magnesium stearate, povidone, talc, starch, lactose.
Produced and marketed in the form of tablets, 12.5 mg of hydrochlorothiazide and 25 mg of triamterene.
This drug belongs to the group of diuretics of moderate potency, thiazide group, used in the treatment of arterial hypertension.
The main active ingredients are triamterene and hydrochlorothiazide. Hydrochlorothiazide is a sulfonamide derivative, the use of which leads to a decrease in the reabsorption of sodium ions, chlorides and water in the nephron tubules.
Hydrochlorothiazide has the property of influencing the way electrolytes are retained inside the renal tubules, also contributing to an increase in the release of potassium ions and bicarbonates. Regular intake of this substance causes a decrease in blood pressure.
The drug increases the activity of renin in the blood plasma, also activating the release of aldesterone, and lowering the content of potassium ions in the blood.
Equalizes the pressure inside the eye, if the patient is diagnosed with glaucoma, prevents the formation of calcified stones in the bladder and kidneys.
Triamterene is a potassium-sparing saluretic, due to its properties to influence calcium channels, it causes an increase in the excretion of chloride ions.
It is used in the treatment of:
- arterial hypertension;
- chronic heart failure;
- swelling caused by heart, kidney or liver failure, obesity;
- diabetes insipidus, idiopathic hypercalciuria with urolithiasis;
- fluid retention in obesity.
The drug in question is contraindicated for use in cases where the patient has severe hypersensitivity (allergy) to the main or one of the auxiliary components.
Also contraindicated for:
- severe renal or hepatic impairment;
- diabetes mellitus;
In case of simultaneous use with any other drugs, you should inform your doctor about it.
The safety and efficacy of using the drug in children under 14 years of age have not been established, therefore, the drug can be prescribed to this category of patients only after a thorough assessment of the risk / benefit ratio (as prescribed by a doctor).
Application during pregnancy and lactation
This drug is not recommended for pregnant women.
If it is necessary to take the drug during breastfeeding, lactation is suspended.
Method of administration and dosage
The drug is administered orally, in a dosage of 2 to 4 tablets per day, in 1 or 2 doses, depending on the severity of the disease, diagnosis, and response to the drug.
The duration of the treatment process depends on the course of the disease, the individual response of the patient’s body to the drug.
The patient should consult a doctor if the symptoms of the disease did not disappear during the use of the medicinal product or if adverse reactions are observed that are not indicated in the instructions for medical use of the medicinal product.
- lowering blood pressure;
- heart rhythm disturbances – tachycardia or bradycardia.
Overdose symptoms for hydrochlorothiazide:
- imbalance in electrolytes;
- tachycardia, arterial hypotension, shock;
- weakness, convulsions, paresthesia;
- nausea, vomiting, thirst;
- oliguria, anuria;
- hypokalemia, hyponatremia, hypochloremia, alkalosis.
In case of accidental ingestion, you should rinse the stomach, take enterosorbents, treat symptoms – introduce calcium gluconate, dopamine, replenish the loss of electrolytes.
Hemodialysis is ineffective.
The use of the drug can cause side effects such as:
- heart rhythm disturbances, pressure drop, myocardial infarction;
- nausea, dyspepsia, diarrhea, flatulence, dry mouth, gingival hyperplasia, gastritis, pancreatitis;
- jaundice, dysfunction, hepatitis;
- dizziness, fainting, drowsiness, visual disturbances, conjunctivitis;
- depression, insomnia, mood swings;
- anemia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, agranulocytosis;
- increased daily urine output, nocturia;
- allergic reactions – rash, rash, itching, erythema, dermatitis;
- asthenia, convulsions, myalgia, arthralgia;
- sweating, edema, gynecomastia, sexual dysfunction, shortness of breath, rhinitis, cough, hyperglycemia;
- electrolyte imbalance;
- renal failure, interstitial nephritis.
Usually, side effects stop when the drug is discontinued.
Storage conditions and periods
The shelf life is up to 5 years.
The storage temperature should not exceed 30 ° C.