Infections caused by drug-sensitive microorganisms: amebiasis; urogenital trichomoniasis; nonspecific vaginitis; giardiasis; surgical infections caused by metronidazole-sensitive anaerobic microorganisms; replacement of intravenous treatment of infections caused by metronidazole-sensitive anaerobic microorganisms.
Composition and form of release
The active ingredient of this drug: metronidazole.
Tricaside is available in the form of capsules (500 mg).
It is an antiprotozoal and antibacterial drug. The active substance interacts with the DNA of microbial cells, inhibiting the production of nucleic acids, causing the death of bacteria. In combination with amoxicillin it is effective against Helicobacter pylori. Not used against aerobes, facultative anaerobes.
Tricaside is assigned:
- in case of trichomoniasis with clinical manifestations, if the presence of Trichomonas was confirmed by appropriate laboratory tests;
- for the treatment of a sexual partner of a patient with asymptomatic trichomoniasis (T. vaginalis) or if no pathogen has been isolated;
- with asymptomatic trichomoniasis (cervicitis, endocervicitis, cervical erosion);
- in amoebic dysentery (acute amoebiasis), liver abscess provoked by amoebae;
- in anaerobic bacterial infection (intra-abdominal abscess, peritonitis, liver abscess provoked by Bacteroides);
- in gynecological infections (tubal-ovarian abscess, endometritis, endomyometritis, infection in gynecological operations), provoked by Bacteroides, Clostridium, Peptococcusniger, Peptostreptococcus;
in skin infections caused by Bacteroides, Peptococcusniger, Clostridium, Peptostreptococcus, Fusobacterium;
- in infections of the lower respiratory tract (pneumonia, empyema, lung abscess), provoked by Bacteroides;
- at the infection of the joints, the bones caused by Bacteroides types;
- in bacterial septicemia caused by Bacteroides, Clostridium;
- in infections of the nervous system (meningitis, brain abscess), provoked by Bacteroides;
- in endocarditis – inflammation of the inner wall of the heart, provoked by Bacteroides.
Cannot assign Tricaside:
- in case of allergy to components (active or auxiliary);
- with leukopenia;
- at organic (non-infectious) changes of a brain (including at epilepsy);
- children under 10 years;
- in hepatic insufficiency;
- in Crohn’s disease (granulomatous enteritis);
- in the I trimester of pregnancy.
With caution Tricaside is prescribed in the II-III trimesters of pregnancy, with impaired renal / hepatic function.
Use during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Only on doctor’s prescription and under his supervision.
Method of application and dose
The standard dose is 500 mg every 8 hours. Children – 7-10 mg / kg every 8 hours.
The maximum dose for adults is 4000 mg / day. Duration of treatment – 7-10 days.
Symptoms of overdose: vomiting, cramps, loss of appetite.
Treatment of overdose: symptomatic therapy. There is no special antidote, the active molecules are removed from the body by hemodialysis.
Possible lack of appetite, nausea, loose stools, discomfort in the supragastric region, abdominal cramps, constipation, intestinal colic, headache, digestive disorders (stomatitis, metallic taste, feeling of uneven tongue, dry mouth, inflammation of the tongue), changes in blood tests persistent thrombocytopenia, reversible neutropenia), cardiovascular disorders (flattening of the T-wave on the ECG), neurological disorders (aseptic meningitis, seizures, encephalopathy, incoordination, optic neuropathy, dizziness, peripheral neuropathy, peripheral neuropathy) insomnia, irritability, depression), urinary disorders (dyspareunia, urinary incontinence, dark urine, cystitis, urinary incontinence, vaginal candidiasis), allergic reactions (redness of the skin, hives, joint pain, Stevens-Johnson’s sensation syndrome , nasal congestion, toxic epidermal necrolysis), fever, vaginal dryness, vulva, decreased libido, proctitis, dry mouth.
Conditions and terms of storage
Tricaside should be stored in the original packaging at 15–30 ° C for no more than 4 years.