Indication: infections caused by drug-sensitive microorganisms: amebiasis; urogenital trichomoniasis; nonspecific vaginitis; giardiasis; surgical infections caused by metronidazole-sensitive anaerobic microorganisms; replacement of intravenous treatment of infections caused by metronidazole-sensitive anaerobic microorganisms.
Tricasaid (metronidazole) capsules 500 mg. №30 vial
active substance: metronidazole;
1 capsule contains 500 mg of metronidazole;
excipients: microcrystalline cellulose, colloidal anhydrous silica, magnesium stearate;
composition of capsules: gelatin, titanium dioxide (E 171), dyes: quinoline yellow (E 104), FD&C green №3 (E 143), D&C red №28 (E 129), diamond blue FCF (E 133).
Main physical and chemical properties: capsules, green body with the inscription “500 mg”, blue cap with the inscription “pms”, contain powder from white to light yellow.
Antibacterial agents for systemic use. Imidazole derivatives.
ATX code J01X D01.
Remedies for amebiasis and other protozoan diseases. Antiprotozoal drugs.
ATX code P01A B01.
It is an antiprotozoal and antibacterial drug. The active substance interacts with the DNA of microbial cells, inhibiting the production of nucleic acids, causing the death of bacteria. In combination with amoxicillin it is effective against Helicobacter pylori. Not used against aerobes, facultative anaerobes.
Tricasaid capsules is assigned:
- in case of trichomoniasis with clinical manifestations, if the presence of Trichomonas was confirmed by appropriate laboratory tests;
- for the treatment of a sexual partner of a patient with asymptomatic trichomoniasis (T. vaginalis) or if no pathogen has been isolated;
- with asymptomatic trichomoniasis (cervicitis, endocervicitis, cervical erosion);
- in amoebic dysentery (acute amoebiasis), liver abscess provoked by amoebae;
- in anaerobic bacterial infection (intra-abdominal abscess, peritonitis, liver abscess provoked by Bacteroides);
- in gynecological infections (tubal-ovarian abscess, endometritis, endomyometritis, infection in gynecological operations), provoked by Bacteroides, Clostridium, Peptococcusniger, Peptostreptococcus;
in skin infections caused by Bacteroides, Peptococcusniger, Clostridium, Peptostreptococcus, Fusobacterium;
- in infections of the lower respiratory tract (pneumonia, empyema, lung abscess), provoked by Bacteroides;
- at the infection of the joints, the bones caused by Bacteroides types;
- in bacterial septicemia caused by Bacteroides, Clostridium;
- in infections of the nervous system (meningitis, brain abscess), provoked by Bacteroides;
- in endocarditis – inflammation of the inner wall of the heart, provoked by Bacteroides.
Cannot assign Tricasaid capsules:
- in case of allergy to components (active or auxiliary);
- with leukopenia;
- at organic (non-infectious) changes of a brain (including at epilepsy);
- children under 10 years;
- in hepatic insufficiency;
- in Crohn’s disease (granulomatous enteritis);
- in the I trimester of pregnancy.
With caution Tricasaid is prescribed in the II-III trimesters of pregnancy, with impaired renal / hepatic function.
Use during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Only on doctor’s prescription and under his supervision.
Method of application and dosage
The drug should be taken orally with meals to reduce irritating effects on the gastrointestinal tract.
- In case of amoebiasis, Tricasaid should be taken continuously for 7 days. Adults: 1.5 g per day, ie 500 mg 3 times a day.
Children over 10 years of age: 30-40 mg / kg body weight per day in 3 doses.
In case of liver abscess in amebiasis, drainage or aspiration of pus should be performed simultaneously with metronidazole therapy.
- Giardiasis is treated within 5 days. Adults should be prescribed 750-1000 mg of Tricasaid per day. Children aged 10-15 years – 500 mg per day.
- In case of trichomoniasis in women (urethritis and vaginitis caused by Trichomonas), Tricasaid should be prescribed 500 mg of metronidazole twice a day for 10 days. Women should be additionally prescribed metronidazole in the form of vaginal suppositories.
The sexual partner should be treated concomitantly, despite the presence or absence of clinical signs of Trichomonas infection, even if laboratory tests are negative.
- In trichomoniasis in men (urethritis caused by Trichomonas) Tricasaid capsules is prescribed for a course of treatment for 10 days at 500 mg per day.
In exceptional cases, it may be necessary to increase the daily dose to 750 mg or even up to 1 g
- In non-specific vaginitis, prescribe 500 mg of the drug Tricasaid capsules 2 times a day for 7 days. The sexual partner must be treated at the same time.
- For the treatment of anaerobic infections (first-line therapy or replacement therapy), adults should be prescribed 1.0-1.5 g of Tricasaid per day. Children over 10 years of age should be prescribed 20-30 mg / kg of body weight per day in 2 doses (metronidazole in the appropriate dosage or other dosage forms is used to achieve the prescribed dosage).
The drug in this dosage form can be used in children over 10 years of age, when the calculated dose is a multiple of 500 mg (1 Tricasaid capsules ).
Symptoms of overdose: vomiting, cramps, loss of appetite.
Treatment of overdose: symptomatic therapy. There is no special antidote, the active molecules are removed from the body by hemodialysis.
Possible lack of appetite, nausea, loose stools, discomfort in the supragastric region, abdominal cramps, constipation, intestinal colic, headache, digestive disorders (stomatitis, metallic taste, feeling of uneven tongue, dry mouth, inflammation of the tongue), changes in blood tests persistent thrombocytopenia, reversible neutropenia), cardiovascular disorders (flattening of the T-wave on the ECG), neurological disorders (aseptic meningitis, seizures, encephalopathy, incoordination, optic neuropathy, dizziness, peripheral neuropathy, peripheral neuropathy) insomnia, irritability, depression), urinary disorders (dyspareunia, urinary incontinence, dark urine, cystitis, urinary incontinence, vaginal candidiasis), allergic reactions (redness of the skin, hives, joint pain, Stevens-Johnson’s sensation syndrome , nasal congestion, toxic epidermal necrolysis), fever, vaginal dryness, vulva, decreased libido, proctitis, dry mouth.