Treatment of the following infections in adults and children, including newborns: nosocomial pneumonia; respiratory tract infections in patients with cystic fibrosis; bacterial meningitis; chronic otitis media; otitis externa; complicated urinary tract infections; complicated infections of the skin and soft tissues; complicated abdominal infections; infections of bones and joints; peritonitis associated with dialysis in patients on continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis
Composition and form of release
The main active ingredient is ceftazidime. The excipient is anhydrous sodium carbonate.
It is produced in the form of a powder for injection. 1 bottle contains 1 gram (1 thousand milligrams) of the active substance in the form of ceftazidime pentahydrate.
This drug is a bactericidal cephalosporin antibiotic of the third generation, for systemic use, the main active ingredient of which is ceftazidime.
The mechanism of action of this drug is based on the ability of ceftazidime to disrupt the synthesis of bacterial walls. Has a high activity against bacteria of a wide spectrum – both gram-positive and gram-negative. Including active against strains resistant to gentamicin and other aminoglycosides.
When applied, resistance to most β-lactamases appears.
It is used to treat both mixed and monoinfectious diseases that are caused by microorganisms that are sensitive to ceftazidime bacteria.
Prescribed for the treatment of severe infectious diseases: sepsis, peritonitis, meningitis, bacteremia.
Also effective for treating infections:
- ENT organs, respiratory tract (including lung infections in patients suffering from cystic fibrosis), otitis media;
- urinary tract;
- digestive tract, biliary tract, abdominal cavity (including complicated ones);
- soft tissues, skin;
- bones, joints;
- in patients suffering from reduced immunity;
- in patients undergoing treatment in intensive care units, including those with infected burns.
It is an effective drug for the treatment of infections associated with peritoneal hemodialysis, as well as continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis.
In addition, this drug is used as a prophylactic agent in surgical interventions on the prostate gland, in particular, during transurethral resection.
It is permissible to use drugs based on ceftazidime in the treatment of patients with neutropenia and fever due to bacterial infection.
Ceftazidime exhibits the greatest effect in the treatment of the antibacterial spectrum, and is especially active against gram-negative aerobes.
Ceftazidime is ineffective against methicillin-sensitive staphylococci, streptococci of many other enterococci, clostridia, etc.
It is not used for hypersensitive reactions to ceftazidime and other components of the drug. Contraindicated in case the patient has ever had an increased sensitivity to cephalosporins, other beta-lactam antibiotics, including penicillins, carbapenems.
Ceftazidime is incompatible in solutions with vancomycin and amine glycosides, so they should not be mixed in the same syringe or infusion set.
Application during pregnancy and lactation
There is no data on the possible harm to pregnant women, since clinical studies on this group of patients are not carried out. Therefore, this drug should be prescribed to pregnant women only if the intended benefit outweighs the possible harm. Particular care should be taken in the first trimester.
The use in therapeutic doses does not lead to penetration into breast milk.
Method of administration and dosage
The exact dosage and duration of treatment with Zatsef is prescribed by the attending physician, based on the localization and severity of the disease, the type of bacteria that caused the infection, and also depending on the kidney function and the patient’s age.
Most often, 1-6 grams of the drug is prescribed per day, which are administered in 2-3 doses. Injections are given intramuscularly or intravenously (as an infusion).
Average dosages for:
- infections of the urinary tract and non-severe infections – 0.5-1 grams 2 times a day, that is, every 12 hours;
- infections of small and moderate severity – 1 gram 3 times a day (every 8 hours) or 2 grams 2 times a day (every 12 hours);
- severe infections, including those complicated by immunodeficiency, with neutropenia – 2 grams 3 times a day or 3 grams 2 times a day;
- cystic fibrosis, complicated by Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection in the lungs – 100-150 mg per 1 kg of body weight 3 times a day;
- prevention during operations – 1 gram during the introduction of anesthesia. A second dose is given when the catheter is removed.
For children, the daily dosage is calculated, depending on the severity of the course of the disease, body weight and age, based on the calculation:
- up to 2 months from birth – 25-60 mg per day for 2 administrations per day;
- over 2 months – from 30 to 100 mg, for 2-3 injections during the day.
The maximum daily dose for normal kidney function is no more than 9 grams per day. With insufficient kidney function, the dose is reduced, depending on the individual condition. The introduction is started from 1 gram, following the dynamics.
Hepatic impairment is not an indication for dosage adjustment
For elderly patients (over 80 years old), the maximum daily dosage is no more than 3 grams per day.
Methods, proportions, dosage of dilution, solutions used in this case, route of administration are determined by the attending physician using special medical literature.
Excessive dosage can cause neurological complications, including:
- to whom.
Recommended hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis, symptom management.
When used, there are side effects (in order of decreasing frequency) such as:
- eosinophilia, thrombocytosis, (less often – leukopenia, neutropenia and thrombocytopenia);
- phlebitis, thrombophlebitis, pain (at the injection site);
- diarrhea (diarrhea), less often – nausea, vomiting, headache;
- rash, urticaria.
In rare cases, itching, angioedema, anaphylactic shock, jaundice, and renal failure were noted.
Storage conditions and periods
Store this drug for up to 2 years at a temperature not exceeding 25 ° C.
The finished solution is stored no longer than 24 hours at a temperature of 2 to 8 ° C, and within 10 hours at a temperature of 18 ° C.